Thursday, March 15, 2012

Uncle Fester's Cinnamon Buns (aka Sourdough Starter Cinnamon Buns)

They say, "Don't judge a book by it's cover."  Well, for anyone who has seen, used, and/or nurtured a Sourdough Starter, knows.... it's not pretty.  I mean, Uncle Fester is a pretty suitable name for "the blob" that's growing in my fridge.  I've been quite devoted to Uncle Fester, making sure to feed it at least once a week, and before baking with it, I take it out the night before, feed "him", after all, I want to make sure the starter is in it's (oops... HIS) MOST active state..... Well, not too long ago, I did just that.  It started off as an typical "feeding".  We were headed up to the lake for the weekend, and I thought this would be a great chance to put Uncle Fester to work! The end result, YUMMY Sourdough Starter Cinnamon Buns, but... the start of the process... well... let's just say....  it looked more like a science experiment gone awry...
Sourdough Starter Cinnamon Buns
It all started normal... I took Uncle Fester (how to make your own sourdough starter here) out of the fridge the night before I intended to bake, fed the sourdough starter, and left on the counter, loosely covered (per everything I read)... checked "him" before I went to sleep, and all was well....  in the morning, as I groggily walked over to the counter to brew my first cup of coffee....  I found this:
Uncle Fester (Sourdough Starter)
OOPS!  Guess umm, well... looks like my Sourdough Starter is quite healthy!  (or had one heck of a party while I was sleeping) *giggle*  ANNNYWAYS..... I then had a choice...  thank goodness for Keurig, as I can only think so much prior to that first cup of coffee.....  I could clean up Uncle Fester, toss out a portion, feed, and then bake later on that afternoon as planned.. or... what the heck, why not use him while he's most active.  I pushed "brew now" on my Keurig, and started the dough for Sourdough Starter Cinnamon Buns.  What else would a normal, everyday, working gal first thing in the morning after finding out something oozed and bubbled all over her counter top do? Who ever thought Sourdough Starter for just for bread and pizza dough, were sadly mistaken!!
Uncle Fester's Sourdough Starter Cinnamon Buns
  • 2 cups active sourdough starter
  • 3 cups All Purpose Flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 eggs beaten
  • 1/2 cup butter (melted)
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 4 teaspoons cinnamon
- In a large bowl combine Sourdough Starter, flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder and eggs until well blended
- Knead dough in bowl for 5 to 7 minutes, or until mixture is smooth
- Let rise in warm place until doubled. Punch down. On a lightly floured surface, press dough into rectangle.

- Combine melted margarine, sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Spread mixture over dough

- Starting on long side, roll up dough, jellyroll fashion.

- Press ends together to make a seam. Score and Cut in 1-inch slices, place in an ungreased pan.


- Allow rolls to rise to double their size.  Preheat oven to 325F.
- Bake at 325F for 20-25 min until lightly browned.
I added a simple milk/confectioner's sugar glaze overtop while they were still warm!   (mix couple tablespoons of milk with enough confectioner's sugar to desired thickness) These are light and flaky....so good right out of the hot pan... or slightly warmed in the microwave.

SO, from "blob" to.....
Sourdough Starter Cinnamon Buns
Who'd of thought "Uncle Fester" / Enter YOUR OWN Sourdough Starter name here....to create something as sweet as some fresh-made from scratch - homemade cinnamon buns!  Have a great weekend everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment