Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Jack Daniel's Chipotle Slow Cooked Short Rib Tacos and a vacay out East

If you've noticed I've been "quiet" for a couple of weeks... it wasn't because I've been slacking off... or getting fed up of this blogging "stuff", I've actually been out of town.. away... took 10 days off (wow) ... and went back to some of my "roots".  Ontario.  YUP... most people my age take off and go spend 2 weeks wasting away in Margartitaville, or something of tropical sorts... not us!! In my younger years my family moved around quite a bit, and over the years, I've remained close with some pretty fantastic people in different areas of the country.  One of my oldest friends, finally tied the knot, and I am truly blessed to have been there to help celebrate. We went out the week before (and are now known as the BC Squatters)..and just like "old times" I was able to catch up with friends I consider my family... drinks..laughs..site seeing...late nights...and of course enjoy good food. (Hey a girl has to eat right?!)  The first dinner we were there... I made my now "famous" (ha ha) Pizza on the BBQ , that was followed by some of my old faithful appy recipe of spinach dip..hmmm.. I really should post that at some point eh?!... served at some point during the week...(the days got a lil' blurry) This post's inspiration came from seeing some of the new (well new to me anyways) restaurants who's menu's screamed out the latest food trends.  "The Works" has an extensive list of homemade unique burgers boasting what some would say crazy combinations... peanut butter and bacon burger anyone?? Then, there was a Wacky Wings that advertise over 100 different flavours of chicken wings! SO... after reading the menus...and watching the premiere of Season 3's Masterchef....I got a little inspired...and came up with these - Jack Daniel's Chipotle Slow Cooked Short Rib Tacos. (say THAT 10x fast!)
Jack Daniel's Chipotle Slow Cooked Short Rib Tacos...
YEEEUUUPP, with a slight kick to them thanks to the addition of ground Chipotle Pepper, these are juicy, flavourful...best of all are an easy peasy Slow Cooker meal. While out visiting in Ontario, we took just one day to pack in as much sight seeing as possible... and wow, what a fun...filling... day.   We loaded up the car (trunk too!) ha ha, and headed out to Niagara on the Lake, and did a tasting at Strewn Winery. LOVE!! Our suitcases were several bottles heavier if you know what I mean on the plane ride home!

If I wasn't so concerned on the weigh allowance for our bags on the way home... there would of been more coming on board our plane home.  HUGE fan of their Semi-Dry Riesling.  Light, crisp and refreshing, perfect for sipping on around a patio on a warm summer night..or in a hot tub while catching up with your best girlfriend (just sayin') xxoo  Then of course.. moving on the the Picard's Peanuts Store. I'm pretty sure my honey is still smiling from seeing the aisle's of chipnuts and samples available....
These bags are packed full of pure addicting creative snacks....  it's a peanut wrapped in chip layer.  You've heard of "chocolate covered peanuts"... well... these babies are covered in chips.  Coming in many flavours... these happen to be an addiction of my honey's.  You've got to try them.. however, don't say I didn't warn you.. when you too become addicted.  YUM YUM.  *thank goodness they don't weigh your carry on bag!!* 

We ended a fabulous day at Brasa Brazilian Steakhouse.... all you can eat... best of the best cut / cooked meats....  you pretty much have to roll out of there.... but it's worth it... 14 different kinds of meat, all coming straight to your table and carved right there on your plate.  A carnivore's dream come true!  (maybe another reason for my short rib posting?! ) On the way home...  a drive through the famous Niagara Falls Clifton Hill.... perfectly ending a fantastic day.
I guess looking back.. it's no wonder I came home to thinking about different flavour combo's for meat... and had the urge to get back into the kitchen and play.  These Short Rib Tacos were a perfect week night meal... most of the work being done in the slow cooker throughout the day.  For toppings I used a simple coleslaw tossed lightly in a sweet onion dressing, and spruced up some sour cream with chipotle seasoning, minced garlic and fresh lime juice...  sooo YUM.

Jack Daniel's Chipotle Slow Cooked Short Rib Tacos
  • 4 - 6 beef short ribs
  • 4 cloves minces fresh garlic
  • 1 cup Jack Daniel's BBQ sauce (love this sauce, but any bold BBQ sauce should work)
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper seasoning (add more/less to spice level tolerance)
- Place short ribs in slow cooker
- Mix well the Jack Daniel's BBQ Sauce, water, garlic, chipotle peppers in small bowl
- Pour over short ribs, turning ribs to ensure they are fully coated.

- Cook on LOW for 8 - 10 hours until they are fall off the bone tender
- Carefully remove all bones and excess fat - discard.
- Using two forks, pull the meat, shredding it well. 
These are awesome served on a warmed flour tortilla, topped with a light coleslaw (I used a Sweet Onion Dressing), pinch of shredded cheddar cheese and some Chipotle Lime Sour Cream. (quick recipe below)
 Chipotle Lime Sour Cream:
- mix 1 cup sour cream with 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle peppers and 1 minced fresh garlic clove. 
-Stir well and let sit for minimum 10 mins to develop flavour.
Don't forget extra napkins!! 

1 comment:

  1. Definitely a refreshingly different tasty snack...

    ReplyDelete