Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Year # 2.... New Beginnings and Fresh Cranberry Eggnog Cinnamon Buns

Well... what can I say?!  As I enter the 2nd year for this lil' adventure.. I'm pretty sure just about everything possible that could change with my life.. has.  YUP... I mean you just gotta looooove that rollarcoaster-thing-a-ma-bob call LIFE right?!   SO... take this post as a tease of things to come. :) The air is crisp, the leaves are turning, and some of my favorite fall flavours are in full season.  Think Pumpkin (scones anyone?!).  Think CRANBERRY. Think EGGNOG... Think earthy spices.  mmmmmm....  OH yes.... I LOVE THE AUTUMN.  Well let's of course start with the traditional teaser picture....  Fresh Cranberry Eggnog Cinnamon Buns.

Lucky me came into a whole 5 Gallon buckets of fresh... British Columbia Cranberries, picked right here, only minutes away from my door step! They are tart, they are super healthy... and they are perfectly plump.  Delicious!! SO... to kick off the ole' Autumn / Holiday / Fall... these Cranberry Eggnog Buns are perfecto! (and yes... I think it's a little early to stock up on Eggnog... BUT..really...there I was, all innocent, walking down the milk aisle in the grocery store.. and WHAM... it's there.. Eggnog... just calling out to me....)  I'll probably end up making a batch of these... Eggnog Scones.... But for now.. I've got a second batch of the rolls rising.... they seem to just disappear...right off your counter!  I will say, after a gorgeous hike on a beautiful crisp Autumn day.. the buns warmed up hit the spot.
Recipe is easy-peasy.  Even EASIER if you use your dough hook on your kitchen aid mixer.... Not too sweet...  just a perfect hint of eggnog and the tart pop of flavour from the fresh cranberries.  Go ahead... make up a batch.. or 3... I won't judge!

Cranberry Eggnog Cinnamon Buns


  • 1 cup Eggnog
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter
  • 2 teaspoons active yeast
  • 1 egg
  • 3 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup (packed) brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup softened butter
  • 1 heaping tablespoon cinnamon
  • 1 cup fresh cranberries - chopped
- Heat eggnog and 1/4 cup of butter in a small saucepan until butter is melted.  (make sure to keep stirring to avoid burning eggnog)
- Remove from heat, and let cool to lukewarm
- In the mixing bowl of your kitchen aid mixer (dough hook attachment), combine the eggnog mixture, yeast, egg, salt and 1 cup of flour.
- Gradually add remaining flour, until a nice smooth (doesn't stick to your fingers) dough has formed.
- Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover, and let rest in a warm place until dough rises to double in size.
- Once dough has risen, combine 1/2 cup softened butter, cinnamon, and brown sugar into a small bowl.
- Roll out dough into about a 12x9 rectangle (it doesn't have to be perfect)
- Spread butter/sugar/cinnamon mixture evenly on top of rolled out dough
- Sprinkle chopped cranberries over top
- Roll up dough length wise, pinching seam to seal.
- Cut into equal sized pieces, placing each one in a lightly greased 9x13 glass pan.
- Cover, and let rise again until double in size
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Place in a 375F for about 25-30 minutes, or until golden grown
- When done, remove from oven, and let cool slightly.
- You can drizzle with an easy - eggnog/icing sugar glaze... (just mix some eggnog with icing sugar until desired consistency)

Serve Warm.... Serve Cold...  heck.. eat em' right out of the pan.. I won't judge!!  
So, you may be wondering.. what I've been up too!?  well... hmmm... let's just say.. I'm learning change is good.  I've learned I've got some pretty incredible friends, and that my family will always be there for me. I'm learned that challenging yourself is good...  and that sometimes.. all you need to lift your spirits is a simple walk outside.... just taking in all your surroundings and enjoying some of what Mother Nature offers!  Until next time.. go out...and... Just Breathe!  :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment