Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Strawberry Cinnamon Rolls

Ever have one of those mornings where you wake up… look outside.. sun is shining.. Birds are singing.. you can smell the coffee brewing and then wait.  What is that?! … there’s this sweet, intoxicating smell of berries and cinnamon?!   You sigh..and think…can life get any better?!    NO!? NEVER!?! ... well.  Me either!   Haha.  BUT… I can say… I have woken up. Rolled out of bed,  took the tray of sweet-deliciousness buns out of the fridge, turned the oven on.. slipped my shoes on…took Kenzie out.. AND THEN came BACK inside.. haha pressed the “brew now” button on my Keurig,  and finally placed a batch of these OH SO YUM Strawberry Cinnamon Buns into the oven. YUP –then I sighed, sat out on my balcony and thought… this isn't so bad either…

Most mornings I wake up – take Kenzie out (see routine above) – come in and either get ready for the work day – OR – brew that mug of coffee and figure out what I’m going to do for the day.  Lately...it's been a focus on training for my next half marathon.  Seattle's Run Rock n Roll Half Marathon.  NOW.. let's be honest.. I'm not looking to break any land speeds... come in first... heck.. I'm just happy to finish.  I'm doing it because of the feeling I get when I cross that line.  Each race is just a little better than the last. Each race shows me..rather proves to myself.. I am stronger than I ever thought possible.  I run for me.  No one else.  That being said.. the friends I have made.  The friendships that have grown stronger through running is amazing.   The Portland Half was a month ago... in 3 more sleeps Seattle... (Hellllooooo Heavy Medals...ENCORE)  and then in October... Vancouver. (can you say TRIPLE CROWN!)   WHEW....  by this time next year - my goal - full marathon. EEK!  Of course with all the training, trying to eat "better".. blah blah blah...  I still stick with the "everything in moderation" . I mean may as well have something to run off... :) SO... in keeping up with the fresh local strawberries of the season theme and cravings....I just had to bake these up.  Easy Peasy..using fresh berries, with just the hint of cinnamon and all things yum.  Go on... try a batch. Share.  Or not.  I won't judge!  
Strawberry Cinnamon Rolls
Rolls
  • 3 1/4 cups flour
  • 2 tsp instant yeast
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/3 cup butter (softened)
Filling
  • 1 pint strawberries, chopped
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 2 tablespoons cinnamon
Glaze (optional)
  • milk
  • icing sugar
Rolls:
-  In a small saucepan, over medium heat, add milk and butter.

-  Stir constantly until butter is melted.  Remove from heat, and let cool until lukewarm
-  In bowl of mixer, whisk together 2 1/4 cups flour, yeast, sugar and salt.
-  Add egg, water and mix using the dough hook attachment until just combined. 
-  Slowly add milk mixture and remaining flour until dough forms a ball and is smooth.
-  Cover and let rest while preparing strawberry filling.

Filling:

- In a medium saucepan over medium heat,  combine chopped strawberries, butter, sugar and cinnamon 
-  Bring mixture to a boil, while stirring constantly.
- Let simmer for about 20 mins, or until strawberries soften and mixture thickens
-  Remove from heat and let cool for about 15 mins.  Once cool - place in a shallow, freezer safe, container and place in freezer until dough has doubled in size and is ready to go.
-  When the dough has roughly doubled in size,  punch down, and on a lightly floured surface roll out into a rectangle shape.  (roughly 1/4 inch thick)
-  Spread strawberry filling over top
- Then carefully fold dough length wise in half
- Now this can get messy... so enjoy.. haha... taking a knife, slice out roughly 1 inch..or so (doesn't have to be perfect) slices, width wise. 
- Take each slice, and twist.. then tie... into a knot / roll.  (again.. nothing has to be perfect.. it'll work out, trust me!) 
- Place rolls into a lightly greased pan. 



- Cover, and let rise until roughly double in size**

**if you are making these the night before...or even wanting to cover/freeze.   This is where you would cover and place in fridge overnight or freezer - before then have risen.   Once you are ready to bake, remove from fridge/freezer and let rise on counter for about 30 mins.  Bake as directed, adjusting cooking time as needed.  If I'm using frozen buns, I typically remove them the night before, and place overnight in fridge, then in the morning out on counter**

- Preheat oven to 375F
- Place in oven, center rack, and bake for about 30-40 minutes, or until tops are golden

- Mix milk / icing sugar together until desired constantly, and drizzle over still warm rolls... and ENJOY!!!!

I personally love these a bit warm still..then just seem to melt heavenly in your mouth!  Also..as usual, submitting this to YeastSpotting, as a lot of inspiration comes through their site! OOOO and it's also International Picnic Day!  haha Happy #internationalpicnicday everyone! 

SO...  3 more sleeps.  21.6 km / 13.1 miles.  whew.  I'm excited. Nervous. But more so DETERMINED.  Thank you in advance to all my awesome friends and family who will be supporting me.  I love you. 

Until next time...Cheers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment